Fox News Censors Straw Poll Results

If you don't already know, the Iowa Straw Poll, seen as a first test of organizational strength by news media and party insiders, took place yesterday.  The results weren't too surprising, considering that McCain, Fred Thompson, and Giuliani all boycotted the event.  What was surprising, however, is that Fox News blatantly cut certain candidates out of the results they reported.

Here are the uncensored results from the Iowa Straw Poll:

1 Mitt Romney 4516 31.6%
2 Mike Huckabee 2587 18.1%
3 Sam Brownback 2192 15.3%
4 Tom Tancredo 1961 13.7%
5 Ron Paul 1305 9.1%
6 Tommy Thompson 1039 7.3%
7 Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
8 Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
9 Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
10 John McCain 101 1.0%
11 John H. Cox 41 0.1%

Here are the results that Fox News reported:

Iowa Straw Poll Results

Notice that positions four and five were completely skipped. While it's a commonly-held opinion that Fox News seems to avoid mentioning Ron Paul, I've never seen an example of such blatant censorship from them before.  In case you were wondering, they weren't mentioned in the audio of the show, either.

33 comments to “Fox News Censors Straw Poll Results”

1. Comment by Samus Aran:

If you are still watching mass media networks like Fox, then you should certainly expect this. It has only been getting worse the past couple decades as all the multinational corporations merge. The only “free” media in the US of A is the Internet, assuming you don’t frequent sites like MSN …

2. Comment by Vash:

It’s nothing new, how much th media can’t be trusted. I never watch Fox, but I do watch ABC and they censor many more things than Fox. On their website, outside of one of the first Iowa debates, there was a guy with a camera who recorded a whole rally outside, chanting “Ron Paul!” When pictures on the ABC website were shown, there was only one guy with a sign, when the video captured hundreds.

3. Comment by Robert Craighead:

That’s it, no more Fox for me!

4. Comment by Colonix:

It’s FOX News! What else did you expect? I’m surprised they didn’t round up a few digits in the process…

5. Comment by rhY:

If John Q. Public doesn’t see their names, and let’s face it, John Q. Public still watches and believes Fox news, then Ron Paul might as well not exist. How are we going to dethrone and imprison these traitors? Who’s got a gun big enough?

6. Comment by Remember that Straw Poll yesterday? If you watch Fox News, Ron Paul wasn’t even in it! « An eccentric’s views on politics, philosophy, spirituality, and technology:

[...] Remember that Straw Poll yesterday? If you watch Fox News, Ron Paul wasn’t even in it! As you may have read yesterday, there was a “straw poll” in Iowa for the Republican presidential candidates. Mitt Romney won, Ron Paul got a respectable 5th… yet according to Fox News, Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul don’t exist, so they didn’t even list them in the poll! More details here. I wonder if anyone who’s not a right-wing religious zealot has any respect for Fox News anymore… [...]

7. Comment by Fox News Censors Straw Polls Results « irrevocable stuff:

[...] read more | digg story [...]

8. Comment by swdragoon:

as did msnbc :(

9. Comment by chon:

Oh nice photoshop job there you fox hating propogandist.Everyone and I mean everyone knows fox news is fair and balanced they say it themselves 15 times an hour every hour of the day and the wouldnt lie to thier own viewers now would they ?

10. Comment by Mike:

I think Fox is afraid Ron Paul could win. They’re trying to control the public and foreign policy.

11. Comment by Shondra:

Well, I guess I know who *I* will be boycotting……..FOX! I am…..WAS, a big fan of FOX but I can live without it and watch another station. Furthermore, I WILL inform everyone I know about their underhanded practices and the fact that they do not report the news accurately!

12. Comment by Creative Loafing tampa » Blurbex » Blog Archive » The Short List — Mon., Aug. 13:

[...] Fox News leaves out Ron Paul and Tom Tancredo from their Iowa Straw Poll results, despite mentioning those who finished behind them. [...]

13. Comment by Marcus Fedler:

Bias in the media is not new. This should be a reminder that most of the media outlets are owned by large corporations that would like nothing more than to continue the status quo, since they are the ones who bought and paid for this government.

14. Comment by John Welch:

I think it was the New York times did the same thing. Skipped right over Ron Paul’s name and 5th place position and mentioned 6th and 7th place.

What are they afraid of?

15. Comment by Sheila Fortune:

Someone should document the media manpulation and outright censorship of Ron Paul and his supporters……………….

16. Comment by Ike:

This is all about censorship. After all, censorship is becoming America’s favorite past-time. The US gov’t (and their corporate friends), already detain protesters, ban books like “America Deceived” from Amazon and Wikipedia, shut down Imus and fire 21-year tenured, BYU physics professor Steven Jones because he proved explosives, thermite in particular, took down the WTC buildings. Free Speech forever, long live Ron Paul.
    Last link (before Google Books caves to pressure and drops the title):

17. Comment by manny:

Faux news always does that. they are scarred to show the thuth,

18. Comment by I Vote:

They are obviously afraid of Ron Paul, for some reason. The other networks do the same thing by avoiding mention of him, too.

19. Comment by Forecast of Fascist Future? - Tactical Gamer:

[...] Forecast of Fascist Future? So, long time no see. I have been offline at TG for awhile, and am currently to swamped too much to spare time for gaming, hope to return sometime soon. However, enough chit-chat. I am a Canadian citizen. I am fresh out of high school and can only attest to the single fact that I know very little about this planet on which we reside. Yet I follow current events relatively closely, and like to think I know a few things about somethings. One thing I have been monitoring is the recent trend of American politics. I have never lived in the States, and despite what I may claim do I feel to be an expert on it. Yet with so much cultural influence stemming northwards into Canada, it would be hard for me to say I do not understand America. Until these past few years. America is turning into a police state at an increasingly alarming rate, degrading into an almost 1984-esque authoritarian government. Freedoms are being overrun, the Constitution trampled, and no one seems to give half a damn. In fact, it seems the majority of these atrocities don’t even make the paper! True, it is not quite as bad yet as I make it out to be, but it is certainly heading there, and I it boggles my mind why no alarm bells are ringing. Before you scoff, and tell me off back to my igloo, let my make some points. This is not the first time this has happened. In 1934 a coup was narrowly brought down, a coup aimed at toppling Roosevelt’s party in power. A coup aimed at installing a party modeled on Hitler’s Nazi party. It seemed that society’s elite at the time thought it the only way out of the depression, and this was a fairly major coup planned with some large backers among the likes of Heinz and Maxwell House. Nice article here. Today, not a coup threatens the US of A, but it’s own delusional government. And the blame does not rest solely on Bush’s shoulders either. As far as my understanding of US politics reaches; the democrats control both houses, yet they continue to play bend-over with the GOP. It seems both parties are either not willing or incapable to stand up for true American interests. Yes, as a foreigner, my interpretations of true American interests mean little. Yet I cannot see an American people desiring a single-party country. To emphasize just how close USA is to reaching that state, consider this. In all of the recorded transitions of open countries becoming dictatorships, a set sequence of steps is identifiable. In good old America, all 10 of these are visible to some extent. True, some more than others, but they are all there. Read this. Scared yet? So it is possible, a fascist America. Let us pray that it never reaches that stage, but please do not dismiss the idea. I’m positive Winston Smith never would have considered the thought that Oceania could have seen the rise of a totalitarian government. True, that is fiction. Yet it hammers home some quite realistic ideas. for those that have had the (dis)pleasure of reading 1984 in school or otherwise, you are hopefully familiar with three re-curring slogans that emphasize the style and views of the authoritarian leader, Big Brother. WAR IS PEACE Today, America is dominated by something that to any peace-loving person is utterly revolting. I’m sure many of you are quite familiar with the coined term "Military Industrial Complex." It describes a system that since the dawn of the cold war has invaded the US economy so deeply that it now has a choke hold on the American economy. For a country that spends three-quarters of a trillion dollars per year, it is quite believable to imagine just how many jobs that entails. So politicians enjoy the lucrative amount of jobs and fuel-injected economy it brings. Defense contractors rake in the cash (and may be in-part owned by the politicians! — but thats for another thread) while the military get a boost in pride. Everyone wins! Except the soldiers. Of course, then there’s the Iraqis, the Vietnamese, the Panamanians… you get the idea. Not to mention that now to keep a strong US economy (I believe?) up, war has become a profitable and easy alternative. In a sense, war has become a sort of peace, a way of life for the American government. Just kinda sucks for the servicemen of America. I strongly recommend the movie "Why We Fight," an award winning documentary on the military industrial complex. If you know you aren’t going to do yourself the favour, at least watch this trailer. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY In Canada, we currently have a conservative government in power, and while to my libertarian distaste, they have actually done a half decent job. I can’t say I agree with everything they’ve done – far from it. Yet I do agree with some things, so that’s not a half-bad start. It seems though, that only in America can such extreme political figures gain popularity. I speak of former New York mayor, Rudolph W. Giuliani. Sure, he is pro-gay, anti-gun, and essentially a very innovative conservative, that does not make some of the ideas he holds dear any less scary. This, I realize, is all a matter of opinion, yet his view of freedom in particular is especially scary, no matter which side of politics you fancy. Here is an exert of Giuliani speaking at a press conference in 1994, talking of Authority and Freedom: "We look upon authority too often and focus over and over again, for 30 or 40 or 50 years, as if there is something wrong with authority. We see only the oppressive side of authority. Maybe it comes out of our history and our background. What we don’t see is that freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do." To me, that is the most warped sense of freedom I have seen in a long time. Here is the definition of freedom provided by a free but reliable online dictionary: free·dom n. 1. The condition of being free of restraints. 2. Liberty of the person from slavery, detention, or oppression. 3. a. Political independence. b. Exemption from the arbitrary exercise of authority in the performance of a specific action; civil liberty: freedom of assembly. 4. Exemption from an unpleasant or onerous condition: freedom from want. 5. The capacity to exercise choice; free will: We have the freedom to do as we please all afternoon. 6. Ease or facility of movement: loose sports clothing, giving the wearer freedom. 7. Frankness or boldness; lack of modesty or reserve: the new freedom in movies and novels. 8. a. The right to unrestricted use; full access: was given the freedom of their research facilities. b. The right of enjoying all of the privileges of membership or citizenship: the freedom of the city. 9. A right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference: "the seductive freedoms and excesses of the picaresque form" John W. Aldridge. I’m sorry, I just can’t see how Giuliani or anyone can wrap there heads around that definition. It isn’t even close to how we recognize freedom today. In fact, it sounds closer to the definition of opression. op·press tr.v. op·pressed, op·press·ing, op·press·es 1. To keep down by severe and unjust use of force or authority: a people who were oppressed by tyranny. 2. To weigh heavily on: Poverty oppresses the spirit. 3. Obsolete To overwhelm or crush. Digg had a nice article up on this very thing a few days ago, but it was fairly biased and happens to be have taken down by the website. (Good old freedom of speech strikes again?) Here is another one where America’s mayor’s words can be taken in context of the situation. In context, perhaps they don’t sound as bad, perhaps they do. However, what is undeniable is Rudolph Giuliani’s desire for control. When he became mayor of New York, crime rates dropped 60%. "Great!" you say. Yet horror stories were plenty. I realize that the previous article is perhaps just liberal propaganda, but I have seen more or less the same thing in many places. I am inclined to fear the worst for this man. And this man just so happens to be in the runnings for president!?! IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH Perhaps the most revolting aspect of all. Let me tell you a story. The story begins with a great America, a proud America. An America where the government very much served the people, not the other way around. From the turn of the 20th century, through the 40′s and into the early 60′s, America more or less was a populace very much in control of it’s government. In fact, America was very involved in it’s politics. Today there seems to be less general interest in politics than 30 years ago. As a young adult, I see this everyday. Out of the broad circle of 30-40 friends I have, I can maybe talk politics willingly with a mere 5. Yet for the most part, Canada seems to be immune to this epidemic. So why is America so zombified when it comes to current events?Here is an interesting article on the concept of the idiocracy of America. Here are some things the majority of American people have more or less "missed" over the past few months. (Yes, these are all true.) Bush abolishes the 5th amendment. Basically, your president can make himself a dictator whenever he sees fit… Well since we no longer care about the 5th amendment, why not have the legal ability to depossess anyone who stands in the war’s way of their possessions. This is so loosely defined it could even include protesters. Gross. Straight from the White House. And it certainly is not just the American people. In fact, if one thing is to blame it is the American media. Here, Fox MSNBC, CNN and CBS all censored the Iowa Straw Poll results. The article lists as only Fox doing it, but upon further examination they were guilty as charged. (Google it if you don’t believe me.) http://www.chrisbrunner.com/2007/08/…polls-results/ And lastly, don’t forget that big brother IS watching you. I’m interested in gathering some opinions of Americans and fellow foreigners alike, does anyone else not think all this is Germany-1939-@#$%’in-Outrageous! Personally, IMHO: America, WTHU. __________________ |TG-160th| Foxoq [...]

20. Comment by Jerry Martin:

Hell yes, not only that but in the Republican debate both Tancredo and Ron Paul were virtually snubbed.
    This goes to show the influence of big money corporations are instrumental in grooming their own lap dogs to serve them and not the public.
    This was one of the rottenest things I have ever seen and to hell with Fox network.

21. Comment by Peyton:

hi i enjoyed the read

22. Comment by Susie G.:

Go after the FOX sponsors – hit’em where it really hurts – their wallets. Tell their sponsors you’re not going to patronize/buy/read (whatever) until they stop supporting obvious biased media outlets – such as FOX. If enough greasy wheels screech – they’ll listen – and hopefully give it some oil.

23. Comment by The Intermission » Blog Archive » Is Ron Paul As Cool As I Think He Is?:

[...] Ron Paul is an interesting guy with a lot to contribute to our government. His campaign is the first thing that’s gotten me really interested in politics in a long time. It’s just unfortunate that he gets no attention from the mainstream media. [...]

24. Comment by The Loathsome Cavity of Despair » Blog Archive » Another political one:

[...] He will win if enough people realize what he’s actually saying, and have the balls to vote for a real American. I’m sick of hearing “he doesn’t have a chance.” He won’t if no one gives him one; Fox News and the rest of the media have desperately tried to suppress him. The establishment doesn’t want to be threatened; the federal government agencies want to continue to be able to enact regulations and rules on you at a whim. A secret: THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION DOESN’T WANT YOU TO RAISE YOUR OWN CHILDREN ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN VALUES. They want to raise generation after generation of mindless, soulless dependents who constantly re-assert the authority and power of unconstitutional institutions. [...]

25. Comment by O Rly? « Hedonistic Pleasureseeker:

[...] The Pod People – this unholy alliance of closet fascists – are terrified of what Ron Paul’s candidacy will do to the upcoming election. Despite the media blackout of the Ron Paul campaign (see here), misrepresentation of straw poll results, efforts by the Republican Party to keep his Paul’s name off the straw poll ballots, and keep his delegates from voting at the polls, Ron Paul is kicking ASS. Unfortunately, the shadow government will not stand for someone outside their control, and I’m actually a bit worried about his safety if all their other attempts to bury him fail. Time will tell. Posted by The Hedonistic Pleasureseeker Filed in Dude, WTF?????????, It’s All About Me, The Personal is the Political, The Pit of Contempt [...]

26. Comment by KEITH:

Call or write to them yourselves tell them what pieces of shit they are!

FOXComments@foxnews.com, comments@foxkids.com, AmericasNewsroom@foxnews.com, Beltway@foxnews.com, Myword@foxnews.com, Bigstory-weekend@foxnews.com, Bullsandbears@foxnews.com, Cash@foxnews.com, Cavuto@foxnews.com, Fncimag@foxnews.com, Forbes@foxnews.com, Friends@foxnews.com, Feedback@foxnews.com, Jamie@foxnews.com, Fncspecials@foxnews.com, FNS@foxnews.com, Newswatch@foxnews.com, Foxreport@foxnews.com, Atlarge@foxnews.com, Hannityandcolmes@foxnews.com, Heartland@foxnews.com, JER@foxnews.com, Lineup@foxnews.com, Martha@foxnews.com, Ontherecord@foxnews.com, Oreilly@foxnews.com, Redeye@foxnews.com, Special@foxnews.com, Studiob@foxnews.com, Cavuto@foxnews.com, Hemmer@foxnews.com, colonelscorner@foxnews.com, Fatherjonathan@foxnews.com, Drmanny@foxnews.com, Lisonlaw@foxnews.com, Housecall@foxnews.com

27. Comment by U.S. involvment with iranian attacks? - Page 2 - Marijuana Growing:

[...] permalink Faux News is nothing more than a propaganda tool for the illegitimate bush regime … it’s no secret … they are beneath contempt. Reporters Blow Whistle on FOX News Reporters Steve Wilson and Jane Akre were first asked by FOX News and later bribed, to downplay a story they had on a cancer-causing growth hormone called Posilac. The reporters decided to blow the whistle on FOX News and filed a law suit. After the ordeal was over, it was discovered in the appeals court that it’s actually not against the law to falsify the "News." Of course you didn’t see the video that exposes faux news lies I posted. Fox Seen Biased Against Ron Paul Fox News’ slogan, “We report, you decide,” was not acted upon last night at the GOP Republican debates that the Fox network televised and moderated. Among other alternative news sites and blogs, FMNN has been for months cataloguing the ways that mainstream news has responded to the classical liberal (free-market conservative) candidacy of Ron Paul (R-Tex), and last night’s showing once again revealed the bias against Ron Paul and his ideas. Fox News Changes Wikipedia To Smear Rivals; Comprehensive List of Changes Fox News Censors Straw Poll Results Notice that positions four and five were completely skipped. While it’s a commonly-held opinion that Fox News seems to avoid mentioning Ron Paul, I’ve never seen an example of such blatant censorship from them before. In case you were wondering, they weren’t mentioned in the audio of the show, either. Tons of info on faux lies at this site … it will give you the scoop on all of faux news lies. So like I said Fauxnews propaganda is blatant … only a BUSHIE thinks otherwise. __________________ Our Beautiful Ladies … Keep Them Safe Keep Them SECRET! [...]

28. Comment by Ron Paul Still Kicking Ass « tekel:

[...] Nov 6th, 2007 by tekel And he’s doing it without any support from Fox News, and even though leading warmongers like Michael Leeden have come out opposing him. Paul raised some four million dollars yesterday, in small donations, over the internet. In contrast, Mitt is spending his own money becuase he can’t raise any from the nutjob fundies, Rudy is spending mob money because people hate him for killing firefighters, and Frederick of Hollywood is presumably asleep on the couch. [...]

29. Comment by ron paul money bomb:

All I hope is that even after this election whether win or lose we as a nation STILL FIGHT for our freedoms from censorship and if that means no more simpsons for me then so be it lol. I can live without fox as well as most tv for that matter. I am happy to not use any product advertised on their network as well because I am pretty sure there are other options available just like tv stations.

30. Comment by You Watch. Fox decides. « www.TheReaganWing.com:

[...] Cross posted with Chris Brunner.com [...]

31. Comment by Chris Brunner .com » Blog Archive » Fox Reaches New Level of Distortion, Again:

[...] I’d like to congratulate Fox News on beating their own record of outrageous censorship, again.  This time, instead of removing a 4th place candidate from straw poll results, they’ve removed a Top 3 candidate from the results of a presidential election!  Take a look: [...]

32. Comment by The Crumminist Manifesto » Blog Archive » Another political one:

33. Comment by Media & Mind Control « Avaratietoisuus Blog:

[...] Fox News Censors Ron Paul’s Straw Poll Results PDF ChrisBrunner.com [Dog s*** news stikes again. -ed.] [...]